Dove, Chicken, & Sausage Gumbo
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 40 mins
A gumbo for those that love the dove.
- 1 16-oz jar Savoie's® Old Fashioned Dark Roux
- 20 Dove Breasts
- 20 Chicken Legs
- 3 Pounds Savoie's® Jalapeno Pork Sausage, Cut into 1 Inch Pieces
- 3 12-oz Beers
- 2 Gallons of Water
- 2 Large Red Onions, Chopped Coarse
- 3 Large Red Bell Peppers, Chopped Coarse
- 4 Large Garlic Pods, Minced Fine
- 6 Large Stalks Celery, Chopped Coarse
- 1 Cup Green Onion, Chopped Coarse
- 1 Cup Parsley, Chopped Coarse
- Kosher Salt "To Taste"
- Black Pepper "To Taste"
- Bring your dove and chicken to room temperature if they have been in the freezer or refrigerator.
- Cut sausage into 1 inch pieces and put them into a separate pot, cover with beer, and simmer uncovered on medium heat.
- Thoroughly dissolve one 16 once jar Savoie's® Old Fashioned Dark Roux in 2 gallons of water with frequent stirring while bringing it to a boil in your gumbo pot.
- While your water is heating and the roux is dissolving, prepare your vegetables. Don't forget to stir your roux and check your sausage.
- Once your roux is thoroughly dissolved and boiling reduce the heat and stir in kosher salt and black pepper "to taste".
- Increase heat on the sausage and bring it to a boil. Once it boils, take it off and drain the liquid.
- Serve with shredded cheese.
- Place dove, chicken, sausage, and vegetables minus the green onions and parsley in your gumbo pot, turn up the heat and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer stirring occasionally until the chicken is tender.
- Once the chicken is tender stir in the green onion and parsley.
- Taste the liquid, add salt and pepper if needed, then simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Remove gumbo from heat and allow it to "rest" for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl over rice and laissez les bon temps rouler!