Cajun Chicken Paella
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 20 mins
Paella is a rice dish that originated from Spain. Their version of a jambalaya cooked using ingredients like rabbit, snails, clams, and vegetables. I use a paella pan and cook it over wood coals on a BBQ pit, but any shallow skillet should work. Go to Zookdesign.com and click on the Pinterest button, then the cooking board for step-by-step photos.
- 8 boiled chicken thighs
- 1 lbs Savoie's® andouille sausage (chopped)
- 1 large red onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1 jar button mushrooms (optional)
- 1½ cup long grain Jasmine rice
- 8 oz frozen corn
- 8 oz frozen peas
- 1 tbls olive oil (maybe a little more)
- ½ tsp salt (adjust any of the seasonings to taste)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- Juice of ½ lime
- Boil Chicken for 30 min, cool, then remove skin and bones.
- Heat olive oil in pan on hot grill.
- Brown chicken and andouille sausage in pan. Add onions and red peppers. Cook for about 15 min.
- Add mushrooms (optional), chicken stock, and seasonings. Bring to a boil and let cook down some.
- Add rice, peas, and corn. Let cook until the rice is done. (about 45 min depending on the heat)
- Stir as the liquid is absorbed.
- Once rice is cooked add the lime juice.
- Serve hot!