Shrimp Tasso Pasta
Prep time: 18 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 48 mins
I like to name this "Cajun meets Italian" - a very quick and tasty meal that combines the wonderful Savoie's® hickory smoked pork tasso with one of our Louisiana favorite seafood - shrimp. It's the Cajun version of "Surf and Turf." Add a side salad and Garlic Baguette and you have a dinner that can dress up or down for the occasion. Bon Appetit!
- 2 lb. Large Louisiana Shrimp (raw)
- 1- 8 oz. pack of Savoie's® Hickory Smoked Pork Tasso
- ¼ C. Olive Oil
- 2 T. Minced Garlic
- 2-10 oz. cans of Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies (Hot or Mild or one of each)
- 2-Packages of Brown Gravy Mix
- 2 C. Water
- 2 T. Savoie's® Dry Roux
- Thaw shrimp and place in a colander so that excess fluid is removed.
- Cube the tasso into 2 cm pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Add garlic and saute' until browned. (Approximately 3 minutes)
- Add drained shrimp and saute until pink on all sides.
- Add Savoie's® tasso cubes and heat thoroughly, about 10 minutes on medium high heat.
- Add the dry brown gravy mix and mix evenly into shrimp-tasso mixture.
- Mix Savoie's® Dry Roux with the 2 cups of water and add to the skillet stirring until the mixture thickens to gravy consistency.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes and turn the heat down to lowest setting until you are ready to serve guests.
- Spoon over hot pasta such as angel hair pasta, spaghetti or Penne Pasta.