Savoie's® Andouille Sausage Creole
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Savoie's® andouille swimming in a flavorful tomato gravy.
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 16 oz chicken stock
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Savoie's® Dark Roux
- 1 16 oz pkg Savoie's® andouille
- Cajun seasoning to taste
- White or brown rice
- 1 pkg frozen okra or 4-5 sliced fresh pods (optional)
- Slice the Savoie's® andouille into discs and begin browning it in a deep pan on the stovetop.
- Dice the bell pepper, onion, and celery and mince the garlic.
- Cut a small "X" on the bottom of each tomato. Immerse the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds, then remove them to an ice bath.
- Remove skins from tomatoes.
- Remove the sausage and set it aside. Deglaze the pan with a little of the chicken stock and add the bell pepper, onion, and celery and saute until translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, the rest of the chicken stock, and the roux to the pan. Mash the tomatoes into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Simmer all ingredients for 30-45 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency.
- If desired, add the frozen okra 10 minutes before serving time. Serve over cooked rice while the okra is tender but still crisp.