Smothered Cabbage with Savoie's® Pickled Pork
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 15 mins
Delicious! Make sure you use a heavy dutch oven 5-7 quart pot (my preference is a heavy Magnalite pot with tight-fitting lid)
- 1 large head of cabbage (cut into 2" inch chunks)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lb. Savoie's® pickled pork cut into cubes
- ½ lb. Savoie's® smoked sausage (any flavor would do, I prefer mild pork sausage for this recipe) sliced into rounds
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tblsp sugar
- 1 tblsp. Cajun seasoning
- ½ cup - 1 cup water
- Cut head of cabbage into quarters, then cut down into 2"-3" chunks (I remove some of the core of the cabbage).
- In a large dutch oven, heat oil on medium heat onion and sauté until wilted.
- Add garlic.
- Add sliced Savoie's® Sausage and cook for an additional 10 minutes or so until edges of sausage are brown.
- Add cabbage, water and sprinkle salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning throughout as you layer the cabbage into the pot.
- Add pickled pork, cover and begin cooking on a low-medium heat.
- After about 15 minutes, sprinkle sugar and stir throughout.
- Cook for an additional 1½ hour on low heat, stirring every 20 minutes. Until cabbage is wilted and caramelized and pickled meat is tender.