Steamboat's Gold Medal Winning Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Serves: 13-15 people
- 1 gal chicken stock
- ¾ - 1 qt Savoie’s® Dark Roux
- 2 lb chicken thigh meat (cubed)
- 1 lb Savoie’s® Smoked Pork Sausage (cubed)
- 3 large or 4 medium onions (small diced)
- 2 green bell peppers (small diced)
- ½ cup minced fresh garlic
- Salt & cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Thinly sliced green onions (optional)
- Finely chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
- In a medium stock/soup pot, bring the chicken stock to a low simmer.
- Add the roux and allow it to completely dissolve.
- Once the roux is dissolved, add the vegetables and seasoning and allow to simmer 2 to 3 hours, adding additional chicken.
- stock or water as needed as the gumbo will cook down somewhat.
- Add the cubed chicken & sausage and allow to cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, allowing the chicken to cook & the flavors to come together.
- Taste for seasoning & adjust if necessary.
- Serve over white rice and garnish with sliced green onion & chopped parsley (optional).